RICHARDSON, Texas — The Lone Star Conference announced on Friday that its delaying the start of the Fall 2020 season due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Practice for all fall sports can begin no earlier than Aug. 24. If approved by the conference, games will start no earlier than the week of Sept. 21.
An official competition start date is still being decided.
The LSC Council of Presidents voted to delay the start “given the uncertainty associated with COVID-19 and the need to fully assess the ability of member institutions to adhere to the NCAA guidelines for return to practice and competition.”
Practices are delayed until Aug. 24, but a competition date has not been voted on yet.
The Council of Presidents will meet again at a later date to review updated public health information and any new directives or information from federal, state and local officials to make a final determination regarding fall sports.
Many other NCAA Division II Conferences have already made adjustments to their fall schedules with a majority only delaying the start of the fall season:
- Gulf South Conference: Delayed to either the last week of September or the first week of October
- Conference Carolinas: Delayed until September 18th
- Peach Belt Conference: Delayed until October 1st
- Great Northwest Athletic Conference: Suspended through November 30th
- Northeast-10 Conference: Suspended all NE-10 sponsored competition and championships until December 31st
- Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference: Suspended all athletic events and championships for Fall 2020
- East Coast Conference: Suspended all competition for Fall 2020
- Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference: Suspended all competition for Fall 2020
- California Collegiate Athletic Association: Suspended all competition for Fall 2020
- Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference: Delayed until September 18th
- Great Midwest Athletic Conference: No update
- Great American Conference: No update
Stay with Concho Valley Home Page as more details are announced.
More Stories for you
• Central’s Davis ‘ecstatic’ with UIL’s decision on football
The high school football community had been patiently waiting for months, shifting through scenarios and rumors, on a…
• UIL modifies 2020-21 Activities Calendar, provides updates to COVID-19 guidelines
SAN ANGELO, Texas — The University Interscholastic League (UIL) announced its long-awaited updates to the 2020-21 A…
• Over 40 campers participate in ASU Elite Camp
SAN ANGELO, Texas– Angelo State Soccer’s Elite Camp kicked off on Saturday at the ASU Soccer Field. This year’s camp…
• Pitchers, Catchers Summer Blast offers softball instruction from top area talent
SAN ANGELO, Texas — Around 40 girls took part in the 2020 Pitchers and Catchers Summer Blast Saturday morning at the T…
• Former Bobcat, Howard named to Preseason All-Big 12 team
SAN ANGELO — Former Central standout, Eli Howard has been named to the Preseason All-Big 12 team. Last season, the…
• Statement from LSC on 2020 Fall Athletics
RICHARDSON, Texas — The Lone Star Conference Council of Presidents met via video conference on Friday to assess the s…