Honey and DATE-SWEETENED HORCHATA
PREP TIME2 hours 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME2 hours 20 minutes
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice
- 6 cups water, divided
- 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1/2 cup pitted medjool or deglet noor dates
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 cinnamon stick (or 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon)
- Soak rice in 2 cups very hot (not boiling water) for 2 hours. The rice should be soft but still very raw – you should be able to snap a piece in half with your fingernail without much effort. Drain and add to a blender.
- Add 4 cups water, dates, vanilla, honey and the cinnamon stick, top with lid and cover with a towel to ensure it doesn’t splash. Blend for about 1 minute until the date specks are very small and the mixture seems well combined. It doesn’t have to be 100% pulverized.
- In two batches, pour the mixture over a bowl or pitcher covered with cheesecloth, a nut milk bag, very thin towel, or a clean t-shirt or clean pair of panty hose (a tip I learned from My New Roots). I wrapped a rubberband around my bowl to ensure it didn’t come loose, but this isn’t necessary.
- Strain the mixture until only pulp remains in the cloth, squeezing to get every last drop out. It will take a little effort depending on how pulverized your pulp is. Rinse out cloth and set aside for washing.
- Next, stir in almond milk (optional), whisk and transfer to mason jars or a large beverage container with a lid. Chill and serve over ice. Will keep in the fridge for several days.