The San Angelo Police Department says that as the weather turns warmer, more citizens will be out and about. Unfortunately, so are thieves.Thieves will be targeting vehicles and residences.
Here are a few crime prevention tips from SAPD to help keep you and your family safe and secure:
- Do not leave anything of value in your vehicles (including weapons).
- Do not leave anything in your vehicle unattended even for a few seconds.
- Normally thieves do not smash windows as it attracts attention. However, if you leave your vehicle unsecure it will make an attractive target for a theif to rummage through it looking for money, credit/debit cards and vehicle keys and key fobs.
- Lock your doors.
- Keep your garage door secured at night.
- Leave a light on both inside and outside your residence.
- Call your police department for a vacations check of your residence.
- Have a neighbor pick up your mail, newspaper, and move your trash cans.
Remember if you “See Something –Say Something”. If you see suspicious activity, call SAPD to check it out. (9-1-1 for crimes in progress and 325-657-4315 for non-emergency dispatch). Many times SAPD solve cases based on tips from the public.