At least 2 dead, several injured in California school shooting

National

Updated 7:35 pm CST:

Two separate law enforcement sources have identified the name of the 16-year-old school shooter as Nathaniel Berhow.

The suspected shooter was hospitalized with a gunshot wound. Officials said he is in grave condition.

______________________________________________________________________________

Updated: 7:00 pm CST:

Bio on Instagram account linked to suspect was changed after shooting.

An Instagram account linked to the Saugus High School shooting suspect had the bio changed by a third party after the shooting, Capt. Kent Wegener said during a news conference today. 

Wegener said the Instagram bio read “Saugus have fun at school tomorrow.” 

The bio was changed after the shooting to something else but it wasn’t changed by the suspect, the captain said. 

It’s unclear if a friend or a hacker changed the post, Wegener said.

______________________________________________________________________________

Update 4:44 pm CST:

What we know so far about the Saugus High School shooting:

A 16-year-old student opened fired on classmates at Saugus High School in Santa Clarita, California, this morning.

Here’s what we know about the shooting:

  • What happened: The shooting at Saugus High School in Santa Clarita began before classes started, officials said, sending some students streaming out of the building as others hid.
  • The suspect: The suspected shooter, who turned 16 on Thursday, was hospitalized with a gunshot wound. Officials said he is in grave condition.
  • The victims: A 16-year-old girl and a 14-year-old boy were killed and three other students were wounded and hospitalized, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said.
  • There’s a video of the shooting: Video obtained at the scene clearly shows the suspect taking a .45-caliber pistol from a backpack before shooting five people and then himself, Capt. Kent Wegener of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said.
  • The investigation: Detectives are investigating rumors that the suspect may have posted threats on social media, county Undersheriff Tim Murakami tweeted.

______________________________________________________________________________

Update 4:13 pm CST:

Vice President Mike Pence gave his condolences to the families of the students killed in a school shooting in California today, saying he spoke to President Trump about the situation earlier in the day.

Speaking to a group at NASA in Northern California, Pence called it, “another heartbreaking day for students and parents.” Pence pledged that the administration is dedicated to ending the “scourge of gun violence.”

“I spoke to President Trump not long ago and he asked me to convey his deepest sympathies to the families of the victims and the entire Santa Clarita community,” Pence said, adding that the President has “directed the full resources of the federal government to support local law enforcement efforts as the investigation goes forward.”

The Vice President also commended first responders and school officials.

“Our hearts are with the families of the victims,” he said. “Our hearts are with everyone in that community.”

“But to every American, and every one of you gathered here, we say, this President and this administration will remain resolved to bring the scourge of mass shootings to an end and we will not rest until we end this evil in our time and make our schools and our communities safe again,” he added. 

______________________________________________________________________________

Update 2:47 pm CST:

Authorities said the suspect shot five people at Saugus High School today. There was an additional person hurt in the incident, but not shot.

The victims are:

  • 16-year-old girl who died at hospital
  • 14-year-old boy who died at hospital
  • 14-year-old girl
  • 15-year-old girl
  • 14-year-old girl

Two patients remain at Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital, two others are at Providence Holy Cross Medical Center and one patient is at Olive View-UCLA Medical Center. Of the two patients at Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital, one is in critical and one is in good condition, according to spokesperson Patrick Moody.

______________________________________________________________________________

Update 2:00 pm CST:

A second victim of the shooting at Saugus High School died moments ago, Sheriff Alex Villanueva just announced.

The victim was described as a 14-year-old boy.

The suspect remains in grave condition with a gunshot wound to the head.

______________________________________________________________________________

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (AP) — One person was killed and several others were injured Thursday during a shooting at a Southern California high school and the student gunman was in custody, authorities said.

The shooting occurred around 7:30 a.m. at Saugus High School in the city of Santa Clarita, about 30 miles (48 kilometers) northwest of downtown Los Angeles.

Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital tweeted that one female patient was dead, two males were in critical condition and one male was in good condition.

It was unclear if there were any other injured. Initial reports fluctuated as high as six.

Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva tweeted that the suspect was in custody and was being treated at a hospital. He said the suspect was a student but gave no further information.

Television images showed deputies swarming the school and several people being moved on gurneys.

Lines of students were escorted from the school by armed deputies.

Saugus High School and other schools in the area were locked down.

White House spokesman Judd Deere said President Donald Trump was monitoring the reports.

Student Sharon Orelana Cordova told KNBC-TV she hid under a table in a nurse’s office until officers came to get her.

“When I got out I saw this person lying on the ground … with blood all over,” she said.

Freshman Rosie Rodriguez was walking up the library stairs when she heard noises that “sounded like balloons” popping. She realized they were gunshots when she saw other students running.

Still carrying a backpack laden with books, she ran across the street to a home, where a person she didn’t know gave shelter to her and about 10 other students.

During the more than hour they were there, students including Rodriguez called their families and texted with friends. Nobody in the house saw what happened directly.

“I just heard a lot of kids crying. We were scared,” Rodriguez said.

On a normal day, Rodriguez said, Saugus High School felt very safe.

“We never really thought this would happen in our school,” she said.

Student Mason Peters told KCAL-TV his class heard a “distinctive sound” outside.

“And so my teacher quickly sprang to his feet, got up, locked the door, asking the students to get the keys,” he said. “And so we like reinforced it, turned off all the lights and then we got a bunch of desks and stuff and reinforced the doors. And we all just like stayed hidden.”

This continues to be a developing story.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.