San Angelo Animal Services is alerting dog owners of a local outbreak of the deadly canine parvovirus.
Animal services are advising residents to ensure their dogs are secure, avoid strays, and to contact their veterinarian is they suspect an issue with their dog.
The Animal Shelter has halted the intake and adoption of dogs. The decision was made late today after shelter officials noted dogs with the deadly disease in the facility, and after speaking with local veterinarians.
The Celebration of Animals event that was supposed to be held at the San Angelo Dog Park Saturday has been postponed until at least October.
Canine parvovirus is a highly contagious and life-threatening. It rapidly attacks a dog’s intestinal tract.
Symptoms include lethargy, severe vomiting, loss of appetite, and bloody, foul-smelling diarreah. Parvo is transmitted through contact with an infected dog’s feces.
Local veterinarians are theorizing nearly 7 inches of rain this month has bought the dormant virus in soil to the surface.