SEATTLE (AP) — Doctors believe a woman who died from rare brain-eating amoebas used tap water to rinse her sinuses.
The 69-year-old Seattle resident died in February after undergoing brain surgery at Swedish Medical Center. Her doctor tells The Seattle Times there was “amoeba all over the place just eating brain cells.”
According to a study published in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases, doctors believe the woman likely became infected when she used tap water in her neti pot, a teapot-like vessel used to flush out nasal passages.
Health officials suggest using only distilled, sterile or previously boiled water to rinse sinuses. Tap water can contain tiny organisms that are safe to drink but could survive in nasal passages.
Such infections are very rare. There were three similar U.S. cases from 2008 to 2017.
Information from: The Seattle Times, http://www.seattletimes.com
More Stories for you
• Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Shallots and Rosemary
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Shallots and Rosemary Ingredients• 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divi…
• Concho Valley This Morning Update (December 7, 2018)
In your Friday morning newsbrief, get the details on a murder case, Lonestar Heroes events, Christmas at Old Fort…
• Lonestar Warriors welcome dinner at Christoval Winery
The Lonestar Warriors welcome dinner was tonight at the Christoval Winery. Here is an inside interview with the …
• 2018 Friendship Tree Recipient-Women of Power
Women of Power are our 2018 Friendship Tree Recipient.
• Tom Green County Sheriff’s Deputies arrest man and seize various narcotics
The Tom Green County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigation Division and Patrol Division arrested Marcus Wiley …
• Concho Valley This Morning Update (December 6, 2018)
In your Thursday morning update, learn about an arrest, an arrival of veterans, a donation event, plus your weather…
• Lone Star Warriors welcomed at Mathis Field
19 lone star warriors arrived in San Angelo from across the country for a weekend of hunting activities and they had a…