The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service will conduct “Landscaping in Drought”, a three-part seminar series for homeowners, Aug. 16, Aug. 23 and Aug. 30 in San Angelo.
The three programs will be from 6-7 p.m. in the Stephens Central Library Community Room, 33 W. Beauregard Ave. Individual registration is $10 per seminar.
Allison Watkins, AgriLife Extension horticulturist in Tom Green County, said the series offers a prime opportunity to learn the best techniques for keeping landscapes alive during drought, while still saving water.
“Effective Aug. 1, San Angelo moved into ‘drought level 1’ water conservation mode, because our city only has an estimated 24 months of water left,” Watkins said. “Drought level 1 means residents with sprinklers can only water every seven days and can apply no more than one inch during that interval. That, and the string of 100-degree days we’ve been having, makes it tough to maintain a landscape, but it can be done and our goal for this seminar series is to inform the public on ways they can have a healthy, vibrant yard even under our current stressful environmental conditions.”
The seminar topics include:
– Aug. 16, How to Water the Landscape – when and how long to water, irrigation technology, drip irrigation.
– Aug. 23, Drought Tolerant Landscaping – plant selection, soil management, landscape planning.
– Aug. 30, Rainwater Harvesting – how to make a rain barrel, how to utilize large rain tanks.
For more information and to RSVP, call the AgriLife Extension office in Tom Green County at 325-659-6522.
More Stories for you
• Wild West Fest “Summer Edition” – Friday 08/03/18
Wild West Fest is TONIGHT, Friday Aug. 3!Where: Bill Aylor Sr. Memorial RiverStage 16 E Ave A San Angelo, TX…
• Hill Country grief camp helps kids cope with loss of a loved one
WIMBERLEY, Texas (Nexstar) — There is one thing that everyone at Camp Erin has in common: Each member has lost s…
• Concho Valley This Morning Update (August 3, 2018)
In your Friday morning update, learn about a shooting, a cabin fire and a legislative summit. Plus get the forecast for…
• West Texas legislative summit brings representatives and the public together to discuss
More than three dozen Texas legislators participated in the West Texas Legislative Summit on August 2, 2018 on the…
• Beto O’Rourke Visits San Angelo for “Beers With Beto” Town Hall Meeting
Beto O’Rourke is visiting all 254 counties in Texas for his campaign as the Democratic candidate to represent Texas in …
• Optometry coalition pushes for new Texas eye care laws
AUSTIN — Dr. Laurie Sorrenson says when she finds out a patient of hers at Lakeline Vision Source has dry eye …
• Academy Donates Thirty $100 Gift-Cards to Boys and Girls Club
Academy Sports and Outdoors in San Angelo hosted it’s first back to school shopping spree. Thirty kids from the San…