As crews responded to a trash can fire, nearly two dozen firefighters were rerouted to a major structure, around three Sunday afternoon at a duplex on North Monroe near Pecos Street.
Battalion Chief, Fred Barnett, says upon arrival the duplex was engulfed in flames, but firefighters quickly contained the fire. Barnett says, one man was home when the small fire and heavy smoke started behind the couch in the living room of the north duplex.
A cat died in this afternoon's fire, no other injuries were reported. Firefighters say the duplex is a total loss, but both tenants did have renters insurance.
Fire Marshal, Ross Coleman, determined the cause of the fire was electrical from an arc in the building system. The fire started in the attic.