One Victim Still in Recovery

We now know the identity of the man charged with shooting two people in Grape Creek, Monday afternoon. One woman remains in a San Angelo hospital, Tuesday night, recovering from surgery.

On a quite Grape Creek Ranch, about 10 miles from the nearest public highway, Tom Green County Sheriff's Deputies responded to a shooting, Monday.

Sheriff David Jones says, 31-year-old Gabriel Hughes shot his mother, Cathleen Hughes, and a "family friend," Theodore Hargrove, both 64-years of age.

Hargrove has been released from a local hospital; Cathleen Hughes underwent surgery and is in recovery. Jones says the two victims were able to escape the residence where the shooting occurred. He says Hargrove provided medical assistance to Cathleen Hughes.

"[Hargrove] actually was the one that helped [Cathleen Hughes], provided some medical attention to her and was able to drive them out," Jones said.

Just after four, Monday afternoon, a shooting occurred in Grape Creek, resulting in a seven-hour standoff with the Tom Green County Sheriff Deputies who had the assistance of several other law enforcement agencies.

Jones says over 60 law enforcement officials assisted in Monday's standoff.

"It's a large place with several structures on it, so we had a large number of people out there," Jones said.

Jones says the Armored Personnel Carrier, provided by the Abilene Police Department, significantly helped the operation run smoothly.

"[The Armored Personnel Carrier] provided protection for our people, and also a way to get [Hughes] out. It all turned out great, everybody went home and was safe," Jones said.

After several failed attempts to communicate with Hughes, Jones says, around 10:30 Monday evening, the SWAT team approached the home inside of an Armored Personnel Carrier; then deployed several rounds of tear gas canisters.

"After approximately 25 minutes, the subject exited the house without incident," Jones said.

Sheriff Jones says the incident began as a family dispute. Hughes remains in the Tom Green County Jail Tuesday night, he's expected to be arraigned Wednesday morning.

More Stories

Don't Miss

Latest News